Friday, November 24, 2017

Life Baggage


{photo credit}

Recently we came back from a pretty long, but wonderful vacation. We went back to Romania, our home country, to visit family. It is such a blessing to be able to spend time with people who love you unconditionally, and just cover you with their love. In these four short weeks, we've been to quite a few places and visited about 15 different homes. I love the experiences and the memories we made, and, I've learned a couple of things:
  1. Minimalism must become part of my life, especially now with a kid. Having just enough especially on the road, is freeing. Instead of keeping track of things, you can focus in your memories. Over the past year, I have been learning to live with less, be content with what we have and focus on people, not things. Still, I have a long road ahead of me to fully grasp this lifestyle..:) 
  2. Traveling with baby(or babies) can be done. Fair warning here: it is more tiring, and you need to take the baby's needs into consideration, but it can be fun. 
  3. Plan ahead, but be flexible. It's ok if you don't get to see the whole city, in the end what matters is the time spent with family. Thinking of the memories you could have made will just steal the joy of the memories you did make. Nobody will appreciate a fussy attitude. 

 I want to talk a bit more about luggages today. I had to pack and unpack so many times that I hope to not need to pack again for at least 3 years (not realistic). Each time I'd have to pack again, I was thinking of how  I pack and unpack every day. Yes, you and I do this exact thing with memories, experiences, thoughts. And it's up to us what we bring with us on our journey. How I choose to pack is impacting my life. When all good and not-so-good memories are brought along, feelings of uncertainty, doubt and even anger cand overwhelm our being. It's of utmost importance to be ruthless editors of our life baggage. When I carefully select every "item" (feeling, scent, sound, taste...) that goes into my memory luggage, I find it easier to maintain my balance. I'm free to actually enjoy those moments, I can be present in the memories, and I become a calmer me. 

However, when I stuff my luggage with ALL sorts of things, it's more challenging to be me. To enjoy the present while cherishing the past. To find the joy of just being, instead of rushing nowhere. 

This season, I'm taking everything slow. I'll be on the floor with our little one, discovering a new way of living, while she discovers the world for the first time.

xo,
Vio

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your kind words make my day!!!